Wednesday, April 21, 2010

naivety

I may be the most naive person I know.
I'm trying to live my life based on relationships, not on the things society thinks I should base my life on - status, money, security.
But here's the thing...it's a lot harder to live your life like that.
It would be so easy for me to make the easy choice.
Part of the reason I'm not going to Korea is because it is the easy choice. The choice I am expected to make.
What are my reasons for wanting to go there - I can make money, it buffs my resume, and it is a crazy party scene.
(not that any of those things are bad in and of themselves)

The harder thing is to stay here in Grand Rapids.
Not just to stay here though, but to actually do something while I am here.
To help people.
I've always been taught that you have to go overseas to help people.
Church mission trips are always out of state, out of country, for a short time to people you will connect with for a brief time.
(Like a bright burning flame, it fades the quickest)
Maybe churches should focus more on going across the street than to China.

But it is not my intent to criticize the church.
Apostate that I am, I have no right to tell them how to act.
All I can do is act in accordance with what I think is right.
And right now, all that means is being close to the people I love and going out and helping people.

No comments: