Thursday, April 8, 2010

It Can't Rain All the Time

So, normally, days like this would put me into a total funk, and I would want to sit around and listen to melancholic music and be all listless.
That was yesterday.

Today, I rocked an exam, went out to Russ' with my sister, had this totally cute waitress who gave me some Snowcap Pie for free (go get this pie immediately...I don't even like pie, and I loooove this), decided I need to be the Sorting Hat of Knollcrest and divide everyone into the 4 Hogwarts houses, got home in time for Beer o' clock with the housemates, watched a movie with this totally cute waitress, bro'd out for a while.

Now, I am listening to some decidedly un-melancholic songs and eating a little bit more of this Snowcap Pie, thinking about how sweet my life is.

Also, I started writing my English paper whilst zoning out in Philosophy.
(which question do you like better - "Was it worth it?" "What was worthwhile about it?")

Also, is it just me or is cuddling usually an awkward and uncomfortable affair? It gets uncomfortable with one arm invariably falling asleep, and when you do find that perfect comfort zone, you always have to go to the bathroom or sneeze or cough.
But I like it anyway.


The dreams I dream the song I sing for you
They’re coming from my heart
Is my message getting through?

1 comment:

leahnieboer said...

paulnak,
i am really looking forward to reading the finished project. (and by finished, i mean, finished for this year; it's not like this thought/argument won't continue to develop in your mind after leaving calvin, after teaching in korea, after going back to the eastern europe.)

also, i like "what was worthwhile about it" as opposed to "was it worth it." what was worthwhile about it allows a posture of learning, even learning from mistake. also, even if you see an experience as pointless at one point in your life, you might not realize until later how it has changed you or what you gained from it.

was it worth it tiptoes too close to self-concern, i think, because statements like "that was worthless" are usually individual or like-minded people judgments. they're usually easier too; if we say a simple "no," we can dismiss the experience without wrestling.

this is getting long. but you've sparked some thoughts in me that i'm going to continue to work through(/talk with you about?).

last thought: what was worthwhile about reading the sound and the fury? a)discussions/rants with paul b)knowing i will never make my future students read it

:)