Saturday, February 20, 2010

Life cycles

I was think the other day just how funny it is just how much life repeats itself. A year and two days ago, my friend was diagnosed with cancer. A year and one day ago, she was having surgery and had a 10 pound tumor removed.
A year ago and a day ago, we here at the Sojourners' (our house name) were hosting a party. It was a blowout. A double 21st. I was making drinks for a bunch of people I didn't know, all the while trying to remain coherent enough to get up at 6.30am to go to the hospital and have church with my friend.

This year; its been one year since my friend was diagnosed with cancer, and she is doing fine now. She kicked cancer in the balls and gave it the middle finger (could we expect anything else from her?). And we hosted our first real party here...our first real party in 1 year. Only this time she was able to come.

So here I am, 8.47am, sitting in bed with a raging headache....trying not to imagine what our upstairs looks like right now, but smiling at the same time. Because my friend beat cancer. And we toasted that (i think....its all a bit hazy) last night.

a year ago I was in a bad mood because I wasn't sure if my friend would live, and if she did live, how much pain she would endure. this year, I was in a bad mood because I don't know if I have a job for the summer. And thinking about it comparatively, I'm having a damn good year.

And that's all I wanted to say.

No comments: