Thursday, September 10, 2009

Living in Misery

It is strange how much music can affect me.

I'm listening to the song "Living in Misery" by Kill Hannah, and I feel a passion boiling underneath my skin. I want to scream until my lungs collapse and my voice is gone. I want to cry and break something. I want to create beautiful art. I want to grab someone and hold on tight. I want to tear into an empty page with the weight of a thousand restless words.

To say this song is massive is an understatement. Some bands try to make epic songs and they come off as cheesy or forced. It has been a long while since I've heard a song this moving. The slow start. The slow adding of instruments. The children's choir at the end of the song. The perfect capture of despair and hope. Light and dark. The feeling of utter failure, yet the need to go on. To hold on.

Look in my eyes
And tell me just what you see
Schools that look like factories
A slowdance to our own heart beat

Look in my eyes
As missing children fill the street
Joan of Arc and Josephine
You can hear them sing...

We are living in misery
But we have to hold on...

No comments: