Thursday, September 17, 2009

Come Undone

It has been 2 weeks? 1 week? Of classes so far. And already, I'm feeling the strain. I was never the best student, but I was able to skate by on natural ability and charm for a lot of my time in school. But now...I just want it to be over. I love the people at college, and I even like going to classes and learning....but the work just seems so pointless to me now. Utterly meaningless. Why yes, I can write a paper analyzing the theme of Orthodox Christianity in Tennyson's "In Memoriam", but why? Why?!?
Ever since we are little, we are always told to do something, but rarely are we told why we should do it. And if we are given a "why", it is usually a lie. "Get good grades in highschool - why? so you can get into a good college. Get into a good college - why? so you can get a good job. Get a good job - why? So you can make money and support a family? Have a family - why? Because you don't want to be alone."
And on and on and on.

I have two words for that kind of life - Fuck. That.

I'm trying (though my attempts are feeble) to start living for things that matter, things that I want to do, things that make me happy. Not just some rat-race, suburban life.
Let's just see how this turns out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen to that bro. I don't want what everyone else wants. I want something that actually means something to me.

By the way, the post before this one, awesome too. It's so cool to see someone just happy with himself.

Keep reading about Huckleberry.