Wednesday, July 30, 2008

God Bless America

This whole political cycle has made me increasingly cynical about American politics, which is totally ironic because it seems as though a great many others have found a renewed faith in the American political system due to the rise of the Messiah - Barack Obama. But since I'm not busy burying my head up Obama's ass in an effort to prove myself a devoted disciple of his, I have had time to reflect on some of the things that are really wrong with this country.

I am going to the inauguration of Barack...I mean, whoever gets elected (but let's be honest, it's a forgone conclusion) via some program called UPIC. It means I am going to be treated like a king, people will probably tell us that we "are the future leaders of America", I will have special access to VIPs, the whole 9 yards. And what I find terribly droll is that in the capital of the supposedly most free nation in the world, I will not be able to light up a cigarette or else I will be thrown out of the Conference immediately. The entire subject of banning smoking is like a thorn in my foot, only sadly there is no Androcles to pull it out and save me my torment. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I am a big fan of some of the ideas that this nation was founded on. You know, ideas like Liberty, personal freedom, and individual rights. If the country still followed those sorts of ideas, I would be able to light up a goddamned cigarette in America's capital and enjoy the cancer spreading in my lungs. Now, instead of leaders devoted to preserving individual freedoms, we have leaders who decide that they know what is best for us and impose restrictions and regulations on us because it will preserve our "safety" and "security."

Fuck that idea.

"Security is when everything is settled, when nothing can happen to you; security is the denial of life"

* * *

In America today, every 25 fucking seconds someone is viciously raped,
someone is brutally violated; 250 times a day someone is murdered,
someone's life is taken,
In America;
This is America,
This is America,
and I love America,
I love America!

No comments: