Sunday, July 27, 2008

Politics

It makes me super sad/disenchanted with the American political system that the first Presidential election I am able to vote in has such shitty candidates. Let me break it down for you.

1.) On the Democratic side we have Barack Obama - Junior Senator from Illinois. Now, my major question for the general populace is - why the fuck does everybody have a hard-on for this guy? Has this country fallen so far that we will get excited about any halfway decent looking, semi-articulate presidential nominee? Have we fallen so far that no one realizes that this man has no substance? The man's platform can be summed up in one sentence "I believe in hopes and dreams!" Well no shit! I doubt that any presidential hopeful would run on a platform opposed to those ideals. He's been a senator for a grand total 3.5 years so far (and the last 1/2 a year probably shouldn't count because I doubt he has attended many votes due to his campaigning). The man was a competent State senator, but I think he honestly should have stayed there for a few more years and maybe showed up to important votes (like the ones on partial-birth abortion and parental notification) before jumping head first into the national realm. Long story short, the man has zero substance to him. He regrets virtually every decision he makes (ex - allowing his kids to be interviewed by the media and hours later saying he "regretted that decision"). When he is elected (since there is virtually no way he can lose this election), I think a lot of people will become disenfranchised with him, like they were with George W. Bush, when they realize that there is no substance to this man, and in reality, he is no different than every other politician.

2.) For the Republicans, we have the "maverick" Senator John McCain. Let's just get this on the table, the man is old enough to be my great-grandfather. His entire campaign seems to be run on the philosophy that, "I am not exactly like George W. Bush, but neither am I am a Black Democrat. Also, I was a POW in Vietnam. Vote for me!" There is virtually no way in a frozen Hell that John McCain will be elected unless by some chance the racist vote outdoes the white-guilt vote.

3.) Rounding out the bill is Libertarian Bob Barr. Fuck this guy.


Why can't there be one halfway decent nominee?

No comments: