Thursday, July 3, 2008

First Post

I've decided to join the hordes of other cyberwaste out there and start my own blog. Mostly, I am doing this because Xanga is dead, Myspace is full of pedophiles, and nobody likes a person who constantly writes notes on Facebook. So I blog.
This blog will probably just be a collection of my thoughts. It will range from what music I recommend/like to social commentary to recaps of everyday life. And everything in between.

To get things started, I think I'll just give a rundown of what I have been currently listening to. So far, my summer has been overwhelming dominated by post-metal/doom/atmospheric hardcore. All three are essentially the same, but it really depends on who you are talking to.
  • Rosetta has been on constant rotation when I am at home. I got their cd "The Galilean Satellites" this past Spring and wasn't blown away by it at first. The more I listen to it, however, the more fantastic I realize it is. It is double cd, one disc composed of post-metal songs while the other cd has accompanying songs of atmospheric sparseness. Apparently, if you play both cds at the same time, it creates a mindblowing experience (because tracks 1, 2, 3... on both cds are the same length, and therefore the post-metal is supported by the atmospheric track)
  • Minsk is another band that has really taken my cd player by storm. "The Ritual Fires of Abandonment" is one of the best post-metal albums ever made. It has a real tribal feel to it, a raw primal energy that gets me fired up everyday as I drive to work. Especially good is the track "Circle of Ashes" which has J. Robert Oppenheimer's quote about the successful testing of the nuclear bomb.
Those are the two main bands I've been listening to, supplemented by Cult of Luna, My Dying Bride, and Neurosis.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog about America's Independence Day and why I am opposed to the Revolution.

No comments: