Saturday, March 6, 2010

A moment in time

I'm sitting here, trying to figure out what mood I'm in. I'm not tired, but not energetic. Not happy, but not melancholy. Not overly contemplative, but not just zoning out either. I am simply here, listening to a beautiful album and sitting. I am at a perfect equilibrium. A place of rest and tranquility

That's the word I was looking for.
I am tranquil.

Most often, I associate tranquility with nature - lying on the grass, watching the clouds drift by on a summer day. Sitting next to the river with a loved one. Riding on a quiet, country road.

But here I am, in my messy room, wrapped in an old blanket, fan spinning lazily, one light illuminating the room...and I am tranquil.

I often listen to the band Ljungblut when I am in this mood. His music (it really is just one guy's solo project) is the perfect blend of calm, melancholy, reflective, honest.
I remember one time, one of those days when everything in the universe aligned perfectly. I had driven to the beach of Muskegon with 3 friends. It was a perfect early Summer day. We had taken Polaroids, sat on the beach, laughed, and just enjoyed life. We were driving back after that afternoon - I was driving, we were laughing. Kasie had her feet out the window. The summer wind in our faces. Perfectly content, perfectly tranquil. It was amazing, but it was made perfect when the song "Is There Another Way Out" by Ljungblut came on. It is one of the most idyllic moments I've ever had. I didn't even speak during that car ride. I just felt the sun on my face, heard the voices of my friends, and let the beauty wash over me.

It's funny how those moments stick with you. Just small vignettes of life. Moments in time. Things that seem wholly unimportant and trivial...but they capture the essence of what life is, could be, should be.

I'll never forgot those days.
When we lived our lives
The way they were meant to be lived.

No comments: