Friday, June 26, 2009

There's no music on the radio

Wow, another post. I seem to be a veritable treasure trove of commentary and opinion as of recently. Hopefully this outpouring of writing will translate into me writing something original, instead of just responding to the work of other artists...but until that happens.

I was trolling around Youtube today, and I decided to reconnect with a band I was into last summer - Client. I looked up their song "Radio" because I remember hearing it at our host's house when in Praha, and the video really made me reflect about some of the things I saw while in East/Central Europe.
The song itself is pretty catchy, but turns into something more meaningful when linked with the music video. The video shows the two members of Client in a house, listening to the radio and watching outside as soldiers destroy the city. For me, this really brought back the images of destruction that I saw when in Croatia and Bosnia. Bullet holes still in buildings a decade after the war. Minefields still not cleared out. Ruins where buildings should be.

Now, I am not anti-war by any means, but remembering the destruction I saw and listening to the lyrics really drove home the fact that even though wars can be fought for perfectly legitimate means, living people are caught in the middle. Families get shattered. Years of work undone in a single day. Children grow up scarred (both literally and metaphorically).

The one line that really stands out to me in the song is

The call it news - it's not to me...

To the average American, war is something distant and removed. Something to be watched at 6 o'clock on CNN. Just a picture of a far away country and a statistic of the dead. But to a lot of people, war isn't news - it's happened/happening in their back yard.

No comments: