Saturday, November 6, 2010

a subject close to me

I'm reading right now about Nazi eugenics. Now, let me state that I categorically do not endorse anything the Nazis did...but I find this endlessly fascinating. As a social/historical study, Nazi Germany is never ending.

Consider this quote...
"Of the five identifiable steps by which the Nazis carried out the principle of "life unworthy of life," coercive sterilization was the first. There followed the killing of “impaired” children in hospitals; and then the killing of “impaired” adults, mostly collected from mental hospitals, in centers especially equipped with carbon monoxide gas. This project was extended (in the same killing centers) to “impaired” inmates of concentration and extermination camps and, finally, to mass killings in the extermination camps themselves."

What kind of sick logic leads a group of people down this path? Five stages, each worse than the last. Yes, Hilter was a monster, but he needed people loyal to him to succeed. A significant number of people had to believe in this (if not in this, then Hitler's policies) in order for them to be implemented.

Take Action T4 (look it up)...the Nazis killed "deformed" children and then adults. A small group of people arbitrarily decided who was worthy and who was not.

I could write more...but I am just to stunned by all of this. All I can say is a repetition of what Holocaust survivors said - "NEVER AGAIN"

No comments: