Sunday, November 28, 2010

I am in a state that I am rarely in - blank.
I am worried about nothing, I am happy about nothing. I am not content, I am not sad.
All I am is sitting in my chair listening to music that is keeping me in this mood (though by writing, I am slowly beginning to feel again). I love the feeling of being totally blank every now and again (mind you, not too often). Usually, my mind is a mile a minute, and I am overwhelmed with emotions and passions.
But now, all is quite quiet.

Today has been perfect. I drove 5 hours and 40 minutes across three states, and arrived back in time to spend 2 hours with my girlfriend before she works this evening. There is nothing more beautiful or perfect or calming than snuggling up on a couch under a bunch of blankets with the person you love and just talking to them.
I read a book while sipping at a whiskey coke. It was a graphic novel, and the reason I love graphic novels so much is because I can read them in 1 sitting with no problem.
Now, I've listened to both The xx and Jesu...and it is perfect.

I've always loved Jesu, and in terms of verses I find captivating and beautiful and meaningful, the first verse of the song "Wolves" would be in my top 5 for sure.

Who are they
Are they a threat to our beliefs
So we descend upon them
Just like vengeful wolves


In four lines, Justin Broadrick has summed up a significant portion of the human psyche. We see people who are different than us, and we almost always implicitly ask ourselves, "Is this person a threat?" Wars are fought over the most trivial of differences and self-made divisions. Sexual orientation, skin colour, religion, tribe, political affiliation. We descend upon one another like vengeful wolves.

I'm not someone who believes in some vague feel-good spirituality or the notion that "all we need is love, man" or that all religions can get be reconciled into one. But thinking about the slaughter and harm we have done to each other over the most trivial differences (or even serious differences!)...it makes me sad. It is pointless. To kill or even injure someone because they are different than you in some regard is base and vile.

As a Christian, I was always taught that sex and/or homosexuality was the worst sin. No. Worse than that is to injure those who aren't exactly like you. Again and again, Jesus went out of his way to help or tell stories about people helping those weren't like themselves. If there is one thing I ever hope to really excel at, it is that message of Jesus - love those who aren't like you, and who the world tells you that you shouldn't love.

No comments: