Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Galilean Satellites

So, one of my favorite albums is "The Galilean Satellites" by Rosetta. It is a beautiful album, with one half being all heavy post-metal, and the other half being atmospheric ambiance. A contrast of night and day. Light and dark.

But what is really important is the story this album tells. It is about a man who becomes dissatisfied with the world around him, so he leaves for a place of solitude. When he arrives at that place, he realizes that he left everything meaningful to him behind and that he is ultimately empty.

Now, I like this theme because I often feel like the unnamed man in this story. There are plenty of times in my life that I just seclude myself from the world around me. Shut out my friends. Hole up in my room. Stare at a screen. But deep down, I always know how empty I feel when I do that. Life is about relationships. In the words of my favorite poet - No man is an island.

I just felt I needed to say that.


how long I’ve been away from your home,
how long – I’ve drifted away - I’ve drifted away

I miss them all,
the halves of me.
I’m wondering...

No comments: