Sunday, July 5, 2009

Harmonium

I'm currently listening to the album "A Natural Disaster" by Anathema, drinking a double shot of whiskey on the rocks. Kessler. American blend.
Anathema is great for reminiscing. Moody, melancholic, soft, introspective.
I spent this 4th of July mainly with my brother John and his friend Justin. We all went out for soul food at Sandmanns (on Wealthy St.) and rocked some bbq chicken. Afterward, John and I went back to Sojourners to watch "Beyond Reanimator". Mediocre film, but a good way to kill an afternoon. We then continued the Lovecraft theme by sitting down to a game of Arkham Horror. Justin came over and joined us near the end, though he couldn't help us stave off the awakening of Yog-Sothoth.
We then headed downtown for the fireworks. Found a decent parking spot, went in search of hotdogs - ended up finding hotdogs and tacos! Sat down on the bridge behind the most stereotypical white-trash family and waited for the fireworks.

4th of July always puts me in a weird mood now that I'm older. Growing up, the 4th was always such a great holiday because I was able to spend all day in Neenah with my friends. It was usually Sara and I hanging out, walking around town, meeting up with people, moving on, seeing other friends, and so on. Sitting in front of the lake to watch the fireworks. Something magical and timeless about that. But as that seems a distant memory now, and even though I wasn't alone this 4th, it didn't feel quite right. I know things will never be like they were in the past, but those memories and associations don't just go away. All I can do is cherish them and hope that future 4ths live up to them.

No comments: