Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pure fucking metal

Apologies for the profanity in the title, but that is the only way I can describe last night. Soilwork at the A38, Paul Menn front row. It was insane.
Thankfully, there was only 1 opener, and they were mediocre at their best (the only thing that was good about them was their Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover "Relax"). One Way Mirror, a mix of Nu-metal and industrial and psuedo-melodic death.

And then came Soilwork.

In all honesty, their last two albums just have not done it for me. But they fucking slayed last night. They played about an equal mix of new and old songs. About 3 from "Sworn to a Great Divide", 2 from "Stabbing the Drama", 1 from "Figure Number Five", 3 from "Natural Born Chaos", and 1 from "A Predator's Portrait" and "The Chainheart Machine". Roundabout. I mean, I could go check the setlist because no big deal or anything Peter Wichers simply gave it to me after the show.
Speaking of Mr. Wichers, it is nice that he is back in the band - he seemed totally at ease and was insane while playing the guitar last night.
One of the things I do really enjoy about Soilwork is that they have massive stage presence. Not just "Speed" who is totally imposing as the vocalist, but Peter Wichers (guitars) and Ola Flink (bass) were totally hilarious, dancing around, powerstancing at every opportunity, and generally just being entertaining.
I could probably write a lot more, but I will you with this...
...you have not experienced fear at a concert until you see a 6'4", 250 lbs Hungarian man take a flying stagedive directly at you.


Also, I wish my internet worked better so that I could listen to Primordial's myspace. But ever since hearing them at Heidenfest, I've been craving to listen to their blackened doom metal. Totally sweet band.

I am my fathers son
And his deeds
Cannot be undone...

"Empire Falls" - Primordial

No comments: