Thursday, September 4, 2008

I am a god

Okay, that title might be a bit too much, but I found out today that my reputation precedes me! Apparently, several people on the Hungary semester were familiar with my Chimes articles and were a bit...apprehensive about meeting me in person, thinking that I would tear there musical opinions apart and be a real jerk because they like "indie" music.
But, in the words on one of them, "You are actually just a crazy motherfucker, and I like that."

But let me go on the record, I still think 90% of "indie" music is shit. Pitchfork Media is a joke. And "indie" kids in general make me smirk.

And when I use the term "indie" I mean it more in the "Canadian" sense of the word (think bands like - Metric, Stars, Arcade Fire, etc...) not in the "European" term of the word (ie - Kent, Ljungblut, Amber Smith, etc...).

So, while I am not saying that all the bands I love are especially talented or original (much as Kill Hannah is my favourite band...they really are kind of generic), I do think that I listen to music that takes a lot of talent and originality than "indie" bands (who seem to love utilizing shitty sounding guitars, off-key vocals, and inane lyrics).

Examples of talented music
- Opeth (a little tired on ideas as of their most recent releases, but lightyears ahead of most any band)
- Cult of Luna (anyone who tries to tag them as a "Neurosis" rip-off (*coughPitchforkmediacough*) are sorely mistaken)
- Porcupine Tree (again, less original than before, but phenomenally produced/consistent)
- Emile Autumn (far beyond her "gothic" label, this violin virtuoso's work is fabulous)
- Moonsorrow (it is as if someone bottled the word "epic" and then made this band)

No comments: