Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas is the holiday that I am always excited about...but every year I remember that I hate it. I hate going back to WI because every year I feel more disconnected and alien there. I hate getting presents, I hate feeling obligated to buy presents for people, I hate that I am so aloof around my family, I hate that I am being petty and selfish, I hate that I know I am being petty and selfish but not doing anything about it. I hate a lot of things about the holidays.

I hate (hate is a strong word - 'frustrated' is better) a lot of things. But what I don't hate are the nice engraved portraits of John Donne and William Shakespeare on my wall and my new leather bound journal with the sleek design on it.

My New Year's Resolution -
Write in the Journal every single day. None of that bullshit "I missed a couple days, so I'll make up for it." No. Honest to goodness write something in that journal 7 days a week, 52 weeks out of the year, 365 days total.
It can be anything - a summary of my day, the beginning of a story, a grocery list, the end of a story, a love note, a poem, a sketch.

Write.Write.Write.

My mantra for this coming year: Bear into the page with the weight of a thousand restless words.

I will give voice to everything. My hopes, my dreams, my fears, my frustrations, my theology, my philosophy, my romance, my faults, my failures, my successes...

No comments: